African organizations working in the area of women empowerment are invited to apply for the African Women Development Funds (AWDF) Grant Scheme. The AWDF funds local, national, sub-regional and regional organizations in Africa working towards women’s empowerment.
Apart from raising money and awarding grants, the AWDF will also attempt to strengthen the organizational capacities of its grantees.
The AWDF offers funding in six thematic areas viz:
- Women’s Human Rights
- Economic Empowerment and Livelihoods
- Governance, Peace and Security
- Reproductive Health and Rights
- Arts, Culture and Sports
AWDF places high priority on projects and programs that develop and promote women’s leadership and advocacy across all these themes.
The grants application size can be between $5000 and $50,000, however, applications in excess of $20,000 will be given to organizations that operate on a regional basis
- Applicant can be local, national, sub-regional or regional African women’s organizations, from any part of Africa.
- Applicants must be led and managed by women and in existence for at least three years.
- National or regional civil society organizations with women in their governance can apply for women-specific project that will be managed by a senior woman in the organization.
- The proposed project must demonstrate how it fits into organization’s overall strategy for the area of work or community in which it is located.
- Applicants must demonstrate how their work fits into either a local, national or regional strategy for the empowerment of African women. They should have demonstrated capacity in leadership, planning and networking.
- The proposed project must have clear evaluation and sustainability plan.
- Applicant must have potential to raise additional fund and the ability to manage funds and fund accounts in a transparent manner.
- Grant application guidelines must be followed and the application must be made in one of the thematic areas mentioned above.
- Applications can be submitted in English, French, or Portuguese via email, fax or post.
Interested organizations should send in their proposals to the AWDF secretariat in Accra, Ghana, using the grant application guidelines available on the website. Applications can be sent in English, French, or Portuguese, by email, fax or post. However, applications sent by mail or fax should be accompanied by hard copies as soon as possible.
Deadline: Organizations can send in their applications anytime in the year
For more information visit the African Women Development Funds Website