August 12 is celebrated worldwide as the United Nations International Youth Day (IYD). 2014 is not an exception as this day is dedicated to the campaign against the stigmatization of people living with mental health issues.The United Nations therefore invites youth join her in this campaign by submitting supportive entries about the positive impact that speaking out about mental health issues has had on your life or the life of a young person you know.
Categories of Entry
- Short stories, poems, or written word (max 150 words) about the positive impact of speaking out about mental health conditions
- Photos, illustrations, artwork depicting the importance of reducing stigma and of raising awareness to the lives of young people with mental health conditions
- Videos (6-15 sec) with message about mental health issues that you want people to know
- Spread the word about our campaign and International Youth Day – share our material via FB, Twitter, Pinterest and more using the hashtags ?#?UN4Youth? and ?#?MentalHealthMatters?
- Want to do even more? Why not organize an event to celebrate International Youth Day in your community, school, youth club, or workplace. You can get some ideas from our toolkit at – let us know about it, and we will map it on our activities map and maybe even feature it in the Youth Flash Newsletter.
- You will be actively helping in spreading the word about the importance of reducing stigma around youth and mental health conditions.
- Selected written, photo, video and artwork entries will be chosen to be included in our publication ‘Social Inclusion of Youth with Mental Health Conditions’ launched on International Youth Day and in our poster design for our International Youth Day event. Selected written, photo, video and artwork entries will be showcased at our event on 12 August at UN Headquarters, and online, via Pinterest and Facebook throughout our campaign.
- Selected written entries will be interpreted by young artists into a performance piece at the 12 August event at UN Headquarters, which you can watch live on webcast.
- If you organize an event, we will map it on our International Youth Day activities map and maybe even include it in the Youth Flash Newsletter.
Send your submission to email@example.com.
For additional information, visit the #MentalHealthMatters campaign see the
The Toolkit can be accessed here