As part of the activities to mark the end of the Decade of United Nations Education for Sustainable Development Campaign (2005-2006) UNESCO is calling for youths globally under the age of 25 to lend their voice in the essay competition with the theme “My Role as Citizen of the Earth.”
- Essays may be submitted by anyone less than 25 years old (as of June 15, 2014) in one of the following age categories: children (ages up to 14) and youth (ages 15 – 25);
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed;
- Essays must have a cover page indicating: (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2014 (9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count;
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group;
- Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director. Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered;
- Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online. Important: to send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page and follow the required steps;
- Essays must be original and unpublished;
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted
- 1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$ 950) (1 entrant) – 1st prize winner will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan in December 2014. Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers;
- 2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$ 475) (2 entrants);
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift (5 entrants);
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift (25 entrants).
Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable. Winners will be announced in November 2014 on the Goi Peace Foundation web-site and UNESCO web-site.
Deadline: 15 June 2014
The candidates should send their entries to:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation 1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
OR send them online.
The official call for applications is available here HERE.